All of us love to have good food and live a healthy life. But due to some uneven health condition, we feel sick and have to sacrifice with our taste buds. Howsoever, it is necessary for us to have a balanced diet. Our body needs all types of food in an equal amount, as excess amounts of sugar can cause diabetes, whereas salt can increase your blood pressure. Whereas sour can increase your acidity; similarly, there are different side effects of different food items. We should eat food accordingly.
What Happens to your Body during Fever?
Fever itself is not a disease; it is an outcome of a particular infection in your body. It can be cold, jaundice, malaria, etc. In fever, our body feels an increase in temperature.
Hypothalamus is a part of the brain which regulates our body temperature and when this process is hindered due to any bacterial growth or pyrogens, then it is called fever. This increased temperature kills various viruses and bacteria within the body, but it can also kill the good bacteria, therefore we avoid having fever and deal with these bacteria in another way.
Best and Healthy Foods You Should Eat During Fever
Having a balanced food can treat any of the health irregularities and can get cure at home itself.
Vegetables are one of the best sources of vitamins as well as minerals and one should never leave eating them and especially during fever. Don’t overcook them just boil them or cook them in steam. In this way, you can get all the essential nutrients. Always prefer easily digestible food. I have provided a table below this will help you.
Apart from these vegetables, one can also have all types of green leafy vegetables and many other vegetables like broccoli, capricorn, cauliflower, beetroot, beans, etc.
|Vegetables||Nutrients / 100gm|
|Potatoes||Vitamin C – 16% Vitamin A – 0.2% Iron – 6% Protein – 2.5gm Potassium – 535 mg Water – 77%|
|Carrots||Vitamin A – 392% Vitamin C – 7% Calcium – 2% Iron – 2% Fiber – 14%|
|Pumpkin||Vitamin A – 270% Vitamin C – 15% Calcium – 2% Iron – 7% Potassium – 560 mg|
|Ginger||Vitamin C – 8.5% Calcium – 1% Iron – 3.5% Protein – 2gm|
|Spinach||Protein – 5 gm Vitamin A – 370% Vitamin C – 25% Calcium – 15% Iron – 32%|
One can also have vegetable soup for better results.
Fruits are the best source of Vitamin C and this vitamin has been marked as helpful in building your immune system. The presence of natural sugar is helpful in retaining energy.
Fruits contain anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties that are helpful in dealing with any kind of irregularities in your body.
Fruits like orange, avocado, apple, watermelon, papaya, fruits with rich vitamin C, pomegranate, etc.
Yogurt carries some good bacteria and they are very much helpful in dealing with other bad bacteria and in building your immune system. One should really have yogurt in fever, avoid only when you have a cough or cold.
During fever our body stops producing new cells so, the presence of protein is helpful in healing our body quickly. Don’t forget to add yogurt to your menu.
4. Chicken Soup
Having a chicken soup or broth, both are helpful in fever, especially fever due to cold. Chicken contains the natural amino acid, which is helpful in dealing with any kind of congestion. They also keep you hydrated and it is very necessary during fever.
It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which are helpful during fever. It is also a very good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. So, including chicken soup in your meal, during fever is not a bad option.
5. Liquid Diet/Be Hydrated
Keeping yourself hydrated during fever is very necessary because due to the increased temperature our body can lose most of its water. So, you can have:
- Fruit Juice: Fruit juice can really keep you hydrated and is a very good medium of having water. If we are simply asked to have water, it is not possible to drink plenty of water when you don’t have a habit. So, taking water in another form is very necessary. The presence of vitamins and minerals keeps your body metabolism good and this can really be helpful in dealing with a fever.
- Coconut water: The presence of glucose and electrolytes are really helpful in fever. It contains 94% of water, which is sufficient in fulfilling your body water requirement. It contains Vitamin C, sodium, potassium, and protein and all of them are helpful in dealing with a fever.
Foods to Eat during Fever due to Headache
- Dehydration has been marked as one of the major reasons behind headaches and fever. So, when you feel low have water-rich food like watermelon. It contains magnesium, which is really helpful in dealing with a headache. In the same way vegetables like tomato, cucumber, are also good for dealing with fever causing headaches.
- Eat nuts like almond, cashew because they contain rich amounts of magnesium and they help you in your headache. Apart from these nuts, fruits like avocado, banana also contains a very good amount of magnesium.
- When someone follows the diet, they take very less amount of carbohydrates, and meanwhile, our body spends the stored form of carbohydrates naming glycogen. When the level of glycogen reduces, it pokes the brain because it is one of the main sources of brain energy. This shows that diet with low carbs can cause had ache and fever. Always have whole-wheat bread, yogurt in your food.
- You can try the soup of spinach, mix vegetables with a seasoning of roasted sesame seeds. This will hydrate you and will definitely reduce your pain and fever.
Foods to Eat during Fever and Sore Throat
The sore throat is something that brings lots of trouble and an increase in body temperature. It does not allow you to swallow anything either it is food or water. It is one of the most terrific feeling and fever is something a very good follower of sore throat, means if you have a sore throat you will definitely have a fever.
As discussed above fever is caused by some bacterial, allergic, or fungal infection and sore throat is a kind of infection. We also know that we should treat the infection to get rigid of fever itself. I have listed some food items in which a person with sore throat should have better results.
- Water: You might be surprised by having just water; actually it works amazingly to deal with a sore throat. Although you feel difficult but have it, you can have warm water; this will reduce your pain and will help you to deal with your throat. You can also have it in many types like any hot drink or any water-rich fruit, etc. The main aim is to keep yourself hydrated.
- Have hot milk with turmeric, this works amazingly on a sore throat and will automatically reduce the infection and will further help you to deal with a fever too.
- You can have herbal drinks because it is very good for sore throat and show instant results.
- You can also have some other food like yogurt, broth soup, eggs, vegetables, etc.
- In case of high fever, one should consult his doctor and then use these remedies.
Foods to Eat during Fever and Cold Cough
During cough and could our body produces a cough and sometimes it causes some serious health issues. It can also cause lung diseases, fever, etc. sometimes the cough produced freezes and causes blockage in our chest and causes lung disease. First of all, always consult your doctor and have proper medication. Apart from medication also have some changes in your diet to get better results soon. I have listed some of them below:
Chicken soup: It has a hot ‘Taseer’ it means it keeps you warm and hydrated at the same time. Warm food is helpful in cough and cold because they also work effectively on cough and cleanse your body.
The rich source of protein, vitamin, minerals, and especially electrolytes and vitamins keep you energetic and hydrated at the same time. The amino acid with it breaks the upper cell of the virus causing cold and also has anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
Other drinks like, broth, vegetable soup, herbal tea, coconut water, etc. are very effective.
Honey: I have covered May articles especially on honey, as it is an amazing natural panacea for cough and cold. It’s good for every age group and has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has amazing healing power and boosts your immune system. Always make sure to serve honey to a child of age for more than a year.
Ginger: It will not only treat your cold but will also help you in case of nausea caused by fever during cough and cold. It also has antioxidant, antimicrobial effects. So, don’t forget to add ginger in your food during cough and fever.
You Must Notice – Foods to be Avoided during Fever
Apart from what to eat, one should also know what not to eat during fever. Although fever seems to be a common disease, still if not treated properly or monitored it can cause serious health issues.
- Alcohol: It has been found that alcohol can affect your immune system and not even a sick person even a healthy person should not take it. Especially during fever, our body stops producing new cells and in this stage, we need something healthy and nutritious to fulfill this loss. So, instead of having alcohol, have something healthy.
- Fast food: They are never your friends; they can only satisfy your taste buds, not your body health. Fast food contains bad cholesterol, fat, etc. and when you are dealing with fever, your body fails to deal with these irregularities and as a result, they can cause other serious health issues. So, avoid having fast food.
- Coffee: The presence of caffeine in coffee can cause dehydration and it should really be avoided in fever. Coffee automatically triggers your energy level, but at the same time, it also not good for your health. So, avoid coffee and you can have basil tea instead of coffee and enjoy its benefits.
There is a very good saying “Health is wealth” and of course it is a hundred percent true, because when we are healthy then only we can earn. One should always eat healthy food either dealing with a health irregularity or not. Fever is not a very big disease if treated properly and if ignored it can also cause serious health issues. Try some healthy food habits and daily routine because this will keep you safe as well as fit. I hope the article was interesting and informative at the same time. Keep reading my articles on HealthHelical to stay healthy and fit.