We have different types of plants in our environment some of them grow on soil and some on water. The main thing plants need is CO2 (which they get from the air) and minerals (which they get from water or soil). But there are very few of them which can live in both, water and soil. Otherwise, they are specific and either grows in water or soil only. I have bought some water plants for you. Which you can keep in your house and enjoy the benefits of fresh air.
Top 12 Indoor Plants that Grow in Water and Easy to Manage
The word Philodendron is taken from the Greek words, where ‘Philo’ means ‘love’ and ‘dendron’ means tree. Which means it is a lovely plant. A kind of plant with heart-shaped leaves and they are very easy to handle and care. They look very attractive and can be commonly seen in most of the houses. They grow easily only you have to cut a branch of 5 inches and keep it in a water pot. They do not need direct sunlight, just place them near bright light and decorate your home.
Some Special Qualities of Philodendron
- They are one of the air purifying plants. So, it is quite good to have them in your home.
- They look beautiful and are specially used for decorating home.
- Need very less maintenance.
2. Lucky Bamboo
It is a type of bamboo plant which is not a part of the bamboo family. It hails from the Dracaena genus family. It is a belief that it represents good luck and good fortune. It’s especially known for its Fen Shui benefits. They do not need sunlight and very carefully. Just you have to change the water at frequent intervals and remove the dead leaves. Make sure that the container has enough water and they are good to be kept at the temperature of 20 to 300C.
Some Special Qualities of Lucky Bamboo
- It is a belief that it attracts positive vibes and brings peace in your home.
- The different number of stalks are good for different things like –
One stalk is good to maintain unity and attract positive energy.
Two stalks are good for maintaining harmony and love between couples.
Three stalks represent growth.
Four stalks symbolize death and should not be given to anyone.
Five stalks are good for wealth, luck, happiness, and growth in your house.
Six, Seven and Eight stalks represent wealth, luck, prosperity, etc.
Nine stalks are good for success.
3. Pothos (Money Plant)
It is a very famous plant which is also known as Golden Pothos and Devil levy. It is a very good air purifier and can easily grow on both soil and water. They can be commonly seen everywhere and are very easy to handle. You do not need to worry about watering the plant because it already has water. Take a container and add some tap water and then add a small stem of pothos to it and see how amazing it looks.
There are various benefits of having this plant. One can easily keep it and enjoy its benefits.
Some Special Qualities of Pothos
- They are helpful in providing you fresh air and remove formaldehyde, benzene like harmful substances from the air.
4. Chinese Evergreen
Also known as Dumb cane and has been marked as one of the strongest plants and is good for those who have started plantation because they need very little care and lives in any condition. It grows very slow and has dark green leaves which look very attractive. It can also grow in low light. It grows on both land and water.
Some Special Qualities of Chinese Evergreen
- It is a natural air purifier and purifies indoor air and provides you with fresh air.
- It needs very little care and is easy to handle.
5. Spider Plant
A perennial plant which grows in water as well as in soil. Its leaves look like a sword and look beautiful in hanging baskets. This plant is helpful in removing xylene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, etc. They look beautiful and attractive and keep them away from direct sunlight. Just take care while planting them in water because when the leaves get immersed in water, they can rough easily, so carefully place only the roots inside water.
Some Special Qualities of Spider Plant
- They need very less maintenance.
- They produce oxygen most of the time so, is very good to keep in your home.
- They do not contain any kind of toxic substance within them so it is safe for your pets and children.
6. Syngonium Podophyllum
There are many names of Syngonium podophyllum like Arrowhead plant, Arrowhead philodendron, Goosefoot, American evergreen, African evergreen, etc. They look attractive and are very easy to handle. They can easily grow in soil as well as in water. They can easily grow in any circumstances; therefore, it is also called as hard to kill this plant. They have been marked auspicious as per Chinese Feng Shui.
Some Special Qualities of Syngonium podophyllum
- As per Feng Shui, they are good for maintaining harmony in relationship, success and for maintaining mental health.
- It is an air purifying plant and should be kept in your home and office.
- Need very less care and can grow easily everywhere.
7. Wandering Jew
These plants are mostly found in wet and moisture environment and are mostly used as an indoor plant. Especially in a hanging container, they need sunlight but in an indirect way. Direct contact with the sun can damage them. They can be easily grown by simply cutting a branch and by placing them in water or soil.
Some Special Qualities of Wandering Jew
- They carry the air-purifying quality with them so it is better to have beauty with benefit.
- It also carries some medicinal benefits and has been found crucial for dealing with any kind of kidney disease.
It is a beautiful plant which looks very attractive and can easily grow on land as well as water. It belongs to the asparagus family and has an inch-wide leaf with beautiful green and yellow colours. It is available in different types and as it is an indoor plant so it is not necessary to keep it in direct sunlight.
Some Special Qualities of Dracaena
- It improves the quality of air of your house and gives fresh air to you.
- Contains some toxic elements which are not good for pets like cats and dogs.
They are one of the most colourful plants, having vibrant colours which look very beautiful. They can easily grow in water as well as soil. It is also known as Variegated Laurel. There should be always placed near windows or doors where there is sufficient sunlight. They grow up to 10 feet in height. It has a very long life and is available throughout the year, therefore also called perennial.
Some Special Qualities of Croton
- The seeds of these plants are used for making your stomach clean and keep you away from constipation.
- It also absorbs various harmful gases from the air and provides you with fresh air.
They are beautiful flowering plants with colourful small flowers. It is also known as Busy Lizzy. They not only look good but will also increase the beauty of your drawing room. They can grow in soil as well as in water. They are annual flowers and are good to be grown in shades. You can have them in a water pot and keep it in your room.
Some Special Qualities of Impatiens
- They look very attractive and increase the beauty of your room.
It has near about 10 to 11 varieties and can grow up from 6 inches to 5 feet. They grow especially in shade and their different types are Wax begonias, Cane begonias, Rex begonias, etc. These plants die every year naturally because they cannot even bear a temperature of 500C. They can grow both in water and land. They really look very attractive.
Some Special Qualities of Begonia
- They bear some toxic characters so, should be kept away from pets.
They can grow on both soil and water but it is considered better to plant them in water. Those Paperwhites which grow indoor is named as forcing paperwhites. They should be kept near a window in bright light. October & January is the best month for growing these plants.
Some Special Qualities of Paperwhite
- The flowers contain special fragrance, which works as a natural room freshener.
Apart from this we still have many plants which can be grown indoors in water, but I have provided some of the best for you. Plants are the best source of oxygen and keeping them in your house will never be a bad choice. So, always have some space for nature and enjoy its benefits. I hope you like this article and will definitely share it with your near and dear ones.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Yes, there are many plants that can grow without soil. Plants need minerals and they can also get them from water and that is why some plants grow in water.
Ans. Yes, you can but one should try to keep them in the shade or near the window so that they get a little sunlight at frequent intervals as it helps them to grow.
Ans. No, the water should be changed frequently within two to three weeks.
Ans. No, people say that all plants can grow in water, but the fact is that there are some plants that require essential nutrients in the soil and cannot live without them.