Life is beautiful and we all get it only once so, all of us want to make it best. Sometimes life plays seesaw and we feel up and down simultaneously. But the way we celebrate our achievements we should also celebrate our down because they work as experience in our life and makes us strong and adds courage.
How so ever rich or poor you are, all of us face different problems at different phases of life. But sometimes these bad days have a different mark on our memory and it becomes difficult for us to forget them. I have discussed some of the best ways to get rid of these memories. Yes, it is not easy to forget things easily but not even impossible. Although your birth was one of the best feelings for your parents but do, they celebrate this every day? The answer is no, so why moan on the same problem again and again. It is Hippocampus a part of the brain which is responsible for remembering various things.
As we know the seven deadly sins of life, similarly, there are “The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers” which is a book by Daniel Schacter, who is a memory researcher and has very well described the human tendency and the seven sins which provokes us to either remember or forget things.
Actually, any action is an outcome of our own reaction. In his book, he has discriminated memory into seven sins or general reactions. These sins are –
Transience, Absent-Mindedness, Blocking, Misattribution, Suggestibility, Bias, Persistence
From the seven some are responsible for memories as they are felt when a person fails to remember things like any information, or any event like an anniversary, birthdays, etc. And some of them are responsible for memories of the day to day life and silly facts.
8 Easy Steps to Forget Things Forever that Bothers You /How to Forget about Something that Bothers You
Apart from the detailed information about forgetting things, I have mentioned some best but easy ways to forget things easily. They will help you to analyze your problem and will help you to think practically and this will automatically help you to forget them.
- Don’t Give Up
We always realize after we make a mistake and it gets too late to improve it and it turns into a failure or a black day in our life. We feel very difficult to forget it and we keep on thinking about it.
Now let’s talk about achievements. I am discussing one of my achievements, as when I was in my KG, I got a prize for eating more buns in very little time, and I also got a certificate and a medal too and I still have them. I was very happy that day because it was an achievement and I was on the top floor. But today the scenario is I am a chubby girl and whenever someone asks me about the medal; I feel shame to explain about the eating competition. The same achievement does not mean anymore for me. Similarly, it is not always possible that whatever happened to you is going to be a bad experience for you forever.
It is life and it will show you all, some of us lose our parents at a very early age and some very late. The truth is they have to go, no one lives forever with us. Similarly, problems are not eternal. They last only for some time and leave a bad memory for you. Make yourself strong and always remember “Things Happen for a Reason”. If you fail it is an alert that your preparation was not up to the mark.
Some of us complain that they have tried more than 5 times, so the only option left is to think of your bad days and moan on them. But can you survive like that, the answer is quite simple ‘No’. So, rather than giving up just go and give yourself one more chance.
- Have a Schedule
After a bad day, the very first thing you should do is, make a new schedule and follow it thoroughly. It is possible that you might be living alone, still, you have lots of work like cooking, cleaning and etc. The more you will keep yourself busy the more easily you can forget things. So, keep doing different things and this will really help you.
Don’t spend time thinking because whenever you will be free it will automatically revert you towards your memories. Watch TV, listen to FM, talk to your friends, play games, give some time for your hobby. All this will keep you busy and will make you easy to forget things.
There is an Indian holy book Bhagwat Gita, it is a belief that it has a solution for all types of human problems. Just read it once and it will definitely help you, it is also available online in many languages. Believe me, it really helps because I have tried.
- Makeup your Mind
Everything takes time so don’t get frustrated make up your mind. You can’t see the other story behind the screen, as every situation has two possibilities and when you face the wrong one something good automatically starts playing behind.
For example, there was a science competition and the winner would be sent to NASA for a free trip and you decided to take part in it. Suppose you prepared well, still lost the award. So, what to do now? Now the main thing is how you react.
It is quite simple, ask yourself, as the questions asked in the competition were of your level? Did you cover those topics? Did you know the pattern too or had any idea about it?
If most of your answers are “Yes”, then you are quite lucky because you have an idea about it and you should definitely prepare for next year’s competition. If it is a “No” then you should be happy that it was totally out of your reach and start your preparation in a different way.
These things will help you to forget what so ever happened to you, it is applicable in multiple ways. Like any mishap or a bad day. What you have to do is just ask questions and in this way, things will get clear. Yes, it is difficult to forget anything instantly, but once when you will get a proper answer to your questions, it will become easy to forget.
Meditation is something that sounds like oh hello I am ok and why should I need that? But the thing is most of us practice only some part of meditation and feel like it’s ok. Meditation helps us to remove all kinds of toxic thoughts and helps to develop a new sense of life.
We are born to live and while covering the journey between life and death, we face many ups and downs. The holy Bhagwat Gita describes the way of living and how a person should react to his success and failures. Good memories are the success and of course, the bad ones are the failure. A person either facing success or failure should react in the same way and should not get overjoyed or extremely sad, but it is human nature and one can only do this when they practice medication on regular basis. Following all the steps of meditation one by one brings balance in our lives and changes the way of thinking and one can also easily overcome their problems and live a normal life.
- Train your Brain
Always train your mind, for example, there is a story;
Once a man went to an ashrama and asked a saint. Sir, I want to get rid of my problems as they follow me where ever I go and they won’t leave me. I feel depressed because of them and my problems rule my mind and I need your help. Please take me out of this situation.
The saint smiled and asked the man to climb on the tree and hang from the branch on his hands. The man went and hung by the tree; he started feeling the tension in his hands. Then the saint asked to leave the branch and he dropped on the ground, as it was not very high then the saint asked, who was in your hands and who left you? The man said the branches were in my hands and I was catching it and I left it.
Similarly, we self-carry our problems, they won’t come with us until we take them. So, try to avoid them and keep memories away. We continuously keep on thinking about them and exaggerate the matter. Till the day you will not decide to move on, no one can take you out. So, train your brain to move on and this will definitely help you to forget things easily.
- Try Some Change
It is a human tendency that we get bored of the same daily routine. So, it is a very good idea to have some change in your routine, wardrobe, room color, and sitting arrangements. By doing such small changes you can really feel different and it will distract you and is really helpful in forgetting things easily. Choose bright colors because they add positivity, either it is your dress or wall paint. Bright colors are always the best.
- Do not Repeat
The way we never get excited about the same achievement again and again, why one should be sad and cry on the same bad feeling.
For example, I am a university topper and I don’t have words to express that feeling when I heard the news and lived the best day that was my convocation. It was a fabulous day no doubt, but I don’t feel the same happiness today. So, when I don’t celebrate or remember my achievement every day then why should I remember my pains or a bad day. Always learn from bad days and analyze it and do not repeat the mistake.
- Ask Yourself
Rather than thinking about the same, we should try to figure out a perfect solution to our problem. Suppose something bad happened then what’s next? You should ask yourself some questions like
How the incident took place? Who was involved in it, like your friends, coleuses, etc? Why you feel wrong about it? Don’t you have any choice or option? Try to get answers to these questions and this will dramatically help you to forget a bad memory. Actually, when we think about something there is always a question in our mind and we feel like why this happened to us as things. When you will get the answers to the above question you will stop feeling bad. Suppose your boyfriend ditched you then you should ask these questions and should learn and work on them for your future relationship. It will help you in many ways.
Disadvantages of Having Bad Memories in Memory
- They hinder your progress, as you keep on thinking the same thing again and again and do not able to do anything new.
- Keep you a step back because if you are a student and got fewer marks in a test and if you keep on thinking of the same thing you will not able to prepare for upcoming exams and your friends will progress because they will prepare before you.
- You can lose a better opportunity; we should learn from failures and keep on preparing for the future. If your life is a cricket field then an opportunity is like a ball and no fielder knows when he has to catch it. So, if you waste time on bad memories, you can lose many other opportunities.
- Affects your health, there is a very great saying by Sant Kabir Das Ji in Hindi; “Anxiety affects your knowledge, whereas suffering (overthinking) reduces your health, sins take away Lakshmi, said, saint Kabir”.
- Overthinking can cause depression and this can lead to suicidal thoughts.
- Stress is caused just because of some hormonal imbalance and these hormones remain only for some time but if we do not stop thinking, it can cause serious health issues like brain injuries, stress disorders, anxiety, etc.
Advantages of Forgetting Bad Things/Bad Memories from Your Memory
God knows all, that’s why he made a memory which automatically forgets things after a certain time. It is sometimes very necessary to succeed in life and move forward. There are many stories of success, which got possible just after forgetting bad memories. Look here:
- Mark Zuckerberg faced lots of failures in his life but he never stopped learning from those failures and then finally his name is a brand itself today. So, was it a good decision or a bad one? Similarly, there are many other names who never got success in legacy, they made it, just after forgetting the bad things and carrying the lessons.
- The founder of Alibaba, Jack Ma was such a big loser, and he failed more than 10 times, still, he kept his bad days and its memories aside and woke up with new enthusiasm. Just search and scroll on the internet and you will get thousands of people who had more though time than you, still they forgot things and moved forward. It is good in many ways.
- It makes you strong, and by chance, if you face the same situation again you will not break, and it will make you strong and gives strength to your mind. Bad memories are painful but they teach us a lot. So, it’s better not to spoil your precious time in pondering about bad things, instead invest that time in your future plans.
- In research, it has been found that we feel better and our brain works in a better way when we remove negative things from it. So, if you want your brain to function properly, it’s better to don’t think of those things.
- Bad memories hinder the brain to function properly and this also affects your work and performance. Why spoil your future because of a mishap or a bad memory? Move on and distance yourself from this kind of thought.
What is a Memory and How Memories Are Formed?
Memory is the storage of our thoughts and day-to-day events in our minds. It is our memory that keeps a record of events and helps us to either stay motivated or causes depression sometimes.
Our brain has both forgetting and preserving properties. Whenever we learn something or talk or while completing our work most of the people forget more than 50% of thing within an hour. They forget 70% within a day and also about 90% within a week. We only remember something good or bad happened to us and it becomes either a good memory or a bad one.
It is the hippocampus, amygdale, and neo-cortex the parts of the brain that keeps our memories safe. It helps us to remember and forget different events related to us and our own life. All of the three work on different kind of memories;
- The hippocampus is helpful in remembering self-related things, like our own personal memories. It is found on both sides of the brain and it is also known for converting short-term memory into long-term memory. The hippocampus stops developing when we grow old and this is the reason why old age people feel difficult to remember things.
- Whereas the neo-cortex is a part that remembers nearby things, general knowledge, things we learn, etc. Sometimes some facts also transfer to the hippocampus like we know that the combination of lemon, water, and honey is helpful in weight loss. When we relate general things with us then these types of memories become a part of our personal stuff and are stored in the hippocampus.
- The third one is ‘amygdale’ and it is found in the center of the brain. It holds the emotional memories that we feel difficult to forget. Apart from what we face and feel this part of the brain also develops new kinds of memories like the concept of fear and things we develop by overthinking. Stress, anxiety, and other related issues are the outcome of fear and amygdale is a part where all these feelings develop.
Anything we feel, see, and suffer is written in the form of codes in our brain, and by the passage of time when we do not recall the event we forget it. And if we recall the same event again and again it automatically connects with the other parts of the brain and builds a strong memory. It is always suggested to keep yourself busy so that you could stop pondering on the old facts or useless things. This will help you to forget things easily.
Some Quick Tricks to Forget Bad Memories Easily
- Sleep as much as you can, because sleeping helps us to forget things as the less we think about something the faster we forget. Sleeping is also helpful in the development of the brain and this is the reason why small babies sleep most of the time.
- Keep yourself busy and don’t allow your brain to decode old memories, because the moment we start thinking our brain starts connecting things and facts and it worries us. So, always keep yourself busy it will help you.
- A good smell can instantly change your mood and promotes positivity, so always ensure to have some refreshing room fresheners and perfumes and spray them whenever you feel sad or want to distract your mind.
- Good music has the capability to develop relaxing waves in your mind so listen to music, not songs and so if possible learn an instrument it works very well in forgetting things.
- Start reading a novel, because books had the ability to distract you and will improve your mood too and will help you to forget things.
- Call your friend or talk to your mother, because talking helps us to think less and releases stress.
- Cry if you feel or want to cry because it lightens us and makes us feel relaxed but doesn’t make a habit of it.
- Watch a movie especially a comedy movie, it will take you to another world and will also help you to forget something bothering you.
You are a complete person and no one can make you sad or make you cry until you will not allow yourself to do so. Be strong and learn how to deal with your problems? We all face different kinds of problems and we learn from them. When a child learns walking, he falls more than 100 times and sometimes also gets hurt, still, they stand and want to walk again. Be a child in your life and believe me you will start enjoying your life and will forget all your pain and worries. Stay healthy and happy because a healthy body carries a healthy brain and this will definitely help you. Stay tuned to health helical for more interesting articles.
FAQ: Some Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Ans. No, we never forget things completely but we overcome and when we stop thinking about them, it fades away and we remember fewer facts.
Ans. Our brain forgets 90% of the facts within a week if not revised, so don’t think about the same again and again.
Ans. There are many but distracting yourself is the best one to forget things easily.
Ans. Yes, it is necessary for us to forget certain things because it helps us to live peacefully. If our mind will not forget things we will be unable to concentrate on new things and it can also make a person sick. This is the reason we forget things after a certain interval.