The evidence of honey was found for the very first time in Spain in a painting that was found in a cave in 7000BC. As we know what honey is, it is a product having syrup-like consistency and is produced from the nectar of plants. It is a honey bee that produces honey in their honeycombs which are made up of wax-like structure. There are different types of honey-like Eucalyptus honey, Buckwheat honey, Dandelion honey, etc.
Quick Tips/ Healthy Ways to Consume Honey for Different Age Group
Honey for Kids and Children
Most of us love having honey it tastes good and even children love eating honey. Should always remember that children less than the age of one year, should not be served honey because sometimes it produces harmful bacteria in their bowl and which can be harmful to them. After 12 months it’s safe to have it.
There are more than 300 varieties of honey. Honey tastes sweeter than sugar and tastes far better than sugar. Nowadays processed honey is widely available in markets and raw and original honey costs more than processed or filtered one. Anything eating raw contains more nutrients and one should really have raw one for more benefits.
Benefits of Honey for Children
Honey is beneficial for everyone and every age has its own benefits like:
- Treats Cough: Usually, it is very tough for children to have any medicine and in such cases, it is very tough to take medicine, especially in the case of cough and cold. Sometimes it also becomes very severe and causes serious health issues like asthma, pneumonia, etc. doctors recommend having honey to treat any kind of cough. Honey has a healing tendency and it keeps us warm so it is generally recommended by doctors. Children won’t able to sleep at night due to cough and honey makes it easy for them to breathe and get relieved and the children easily eat it because of its sweet taste.
- For Strong Bones: Honey contains many bioactive things in it like polyphenols, which is a boon for bone health. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties protect us from various diseases.
- Effective on Wounds: Honey is very good to treat any kind of wounds and cuts especially in children because they start crying when we apply for any medicine, as some ointments have a burning sensation, and children can’t bear such a pain so the best option is to apply honey. At first, consult your doctor then you can start using honey on their wounds or cuts. Sometimes children also lick the medicine applied to their cuts and this can really harm them and in such cases, it is better to apply honey.
Healthy Ways to Consume Honey for Children
Mix the honey in milk, instead of sugar and serve them. Not always but you can give this on alternate days.
- Honey Nut Pomegranates
Orange juice ½ cup, 1 spoon rose water, pomegranate seeds 100 gm, cream 200 ml, honey 100 g, pistachios chopped 150 gm some shredded and crushed wheat, yogurt 250g.
How to Make
- Take a bowl and add wheat nuts and half of the honey to it.
- Add orange juice to the mixture and pour them into small cups.
- Blend the cream until it turns soft, add yogurt, and rose water to it and pour this mixture in each cup and let the mixture in the cup freeze for at least a few hours or you can also keep it over night. Then remove it and add pomegranate seeds to it.
It contains lots of fat and it is good for children because they do a lot of physical activities and they need more energy for doing so.
2. Honey Bread
2 Slice of bread, honey as per required, nuts, and butter 1 spoon.
How to Make
- Take the bread and add some butter on it.
- Take a pan and add some butter and roast dry fruits and add it to the bread piece.
- Toast the bread until it turns brown and spread honey on both sides and serve it.
It contains all richness of honey as well as wheat bread. When you serve the same thing in different recipes children will love and if you will serve the same thing, they will stop eating it. So, try these simple, easy and quick recipes and have the goodness of honey.
3. Honey Muffins
All-purpose flour 2 cups, sugar ½ cup, 1 small teaspoon salt, ½ cup honey, 2 small teaspoon baking powder, 1 egg, 1 cup milk, ½ cup butter.
How to Make
- Take a bowl and add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, egg, milk, honey, and butter to it and mix the ingredients and make dough-like mixture.
- Take muffins cups and after greasing fill them with this mixture and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 4000C for at least 15 minutes and check with the help of a toothpick.
- Once cooked let them cool and serve the honey muffins with the benefits of honey.
It contains a rich number of calories as well as 5 g of fat and its perfect snacks for children.
Honey for Adult
Honey is an all-time favorite of most of us and when it comes to some extra health benefits one should definitely try it. Most adults are conscious of their health and their body weight and try all kinds of things to have control over it. It’s not just bodyweight it is also helpful in dealing with bad cholesterol, regulating blood pressure, etc. It contains a rich number of antioxidants, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, riboflavin like substances which fulfills your daily body need. Honey contains near about 70% of sucrose and 25% of the water in it.
A healthy lifestyle is a must for a good and peaceful life and one should never neglect it. Any kind of mess in your body starts with an overweight, which further causes terrible life causing diseases. So, notice the signs early or start caring from adulthood itself for a healthy future.
Benefits of Honey for an Adult
- Increases your Performance: The presence of a rich amount of fructose keeps you active for a long time. The presence of fructose dimness the rise of blood sugar and keeps you energetic. As it is a very good source of carbohydrates and especially people in the field of sports take it to be energetic for a long time and increase their performance. Apart from a sports person, it is beneficial for normal people too in the same way. The more energetic you will be the better you will perform wither whatever your field is.
- Good for Weight Loss: Honey contains fructose which further works as glucose in our body but the glucose produced by sugar contains only calories and it does not contain other nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Whereas honey has zero calories but a very good number of vitamins and minerals. The presence of honey helps our liver to produce glucose and this glucose increases brain sugar level, which further demands to release fat-burning hormones, and, in this way, we won’t put on extra weight.
Healthy Ways to Consume Honey for Adults
- Honey Lemon Water
Raw honey 1 big spoon, 1 lemon, 1 glass of water.
How to Make
Warm the glass of water and add lemon juice and a spoon of honey and mix it well. The juice is ready.
- Honey and lemon together work wonderfully in losing weight and are helpful in detoxifying the body.
- They reduce acne and boost your immunity.
- It is good for your skin, hair, or any kind of cuts and wounds.
2. Kale Salad with Honey
2 Spoon raw honey, olive oil 1 spoons, 2 sliced garlic cloves, chopped thyme, lemon juice 2 spoon, kosher salt, parsley leaves 1 cup, 3 cup baby kale, baby tomatoes halve sliced.
How to Make
- Put on the flame and add garlic to the pan and cook till it turns brown.
- Take a bowl and add honey, lime juice, thyme, salt, and mix it well and keep it aside.
- Take another bowl and add kale, parsley, to it and add the half-sliced tomatoes and the above mixture to it and also add the roasted garlic and mix it well.
- Your mouth-watering salad is ready.
It contains just 50 g of calories and 0 fat and rich in iron, sodium, calcium, and many other minerals.
Honey for Old People
Everything has some merits as well as demerits. Consuming anything in an excess amount can harm you and can cause food poisoning. So, try to consume things in the right amount especially when you are a senior citizen.
Generally, people growing old forget things, and in research, it has been found that people consuming honey had a very good memory. Many people at this age face chronic lung issue which causes cough and honey works wonderfully in treating any kind of cough infection.
Simply adding raw honey in their diet can have multiple benefits but at the same time, if having any kind of severer health issue, one should first consult the doctor and then proceed.
Benefits of Honey for an Old Age
- Protects from Chronic Diseases: The anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties of honey protect people from chronic diseases. People from old age get infected easily because the increase in age decreases the power of the immune system. Honey works wonderfully on both, keeps diseases away, and also builds their immune system.
- Good for Bones: Old age is a second childhood and the body needs are near about the same. Similarly, people from this age require more attention to their bones. Honey has a wonderful tendency to heal and deal with bone health. It becomes their priority to take care of their bones because they get week and delicate in this age and this can cause various problems.
- Improves Digestion: Honey acts as a panacea on stomach ulcers, diarrhea, etc. and improves your digestive system as there are different opinions on the reason behind it. But it is a fact that having a spoon of honey can really improve your digestion. People of old age suffer a lot from this problem so they can have it and enjoy the taste of life.
Healthy Ways to Consume Honey for Old Age People
It is very simple to add honey to our diet.
- You can add honey in milk instead of sugar.
- Add honey in salad and serve them.
- Some times it can also be served by simply applying on wheat bread.
- They can have a spoon of Gooseberry jam in the morning (Aavle ka murabba) made in honey.
- You can make tomato-honey chutney and keep it in the fridge for a long time and they can have it simply by chapatis.
Honey is an amazing gift of nature and it is helpful in many ways. There many ways to consume it and one can add it to any recipe and make it more delicious as well as healthy. Sugar is quite not marked safe in many ways and you can start using honey instead of sugar. But always prefer having pure or raw honey instead of others because they may contain sugar and it is not good for us.